Hometown Heritage Tour
Do you have a Chinese ancestor but have never been to China? Do you want to know more about your Cantonese roots but don’t know where to start? Are you interested in learning more about overseas Chinese culture and heritage?
I am hosting Chinese Australian Hometown Heritage Tours to Guangdong, China, in 2017. The tour begins in Hong Kong and visits qiaoxiang (overseas Chinese hometown) districts in the Pearl River Delta. It is an introduction to qiaoxiang history, culture and everyday life, with a focus on Australia.
The tour will be accompanied by an English-speaking guide and by two Australian historians, Dr Kate Bagnall and Dr Sophie Couchman. Tour arrangements are made through Active Travel, a reputable Canberra-based company specialising in small group travel.
The Hometown Heritage Tour will visit:
- ‘Australian’ villages in Xinhui, Kaiping, Taishan and Zhongshan
- Candong village, a conservation and development project in Kaiping (with historical connections to Australia)
- the UNESCO World Heritage-listed diaolou and villages in Kaiping
- other heritage sites with overseas connections such as Chikan town (Kaiping), the Moy Family Compound (Meijia Dayuan, in Taishan), and Sunwen Road West (Zhongshan)
- museums such as the Wuyi Overseas Chinese Museum and the Zhongshan Museum of Xiangshan Commercial Culture.
Activities will include:
- talks about the history, culture, architecture and heritage of the places we visit, from your hosts and local experts
- eating local foods, including countryside specialities
- interaction with locals and experiencing daily life in the countryside.
Subscribe for updates
The tour scheduled for March 2017 is now fully booked. If you are interested in participating in a later tour, or just want to be kept in the loop, compete the form below to be added to my email list.
I use this list to send updates about the Hometown Heritage Tour and other Chinese Australian history events and items of interest. I will never share your personal information without your permission.
Shekki (石岐), China, c.1932 (Agnes Breuer papers, courtesy Liz McNamee)
Chinese Australian Hometown Heritage Tour
A cultural experience hosted by Kate Bagnall & Sophie Couchman
Hong Kong & Guangdong, China
22 to 31 March 2017 tour is now FULLY BOOKED – view the brochure (pdf, 5.5mb)
Stay tuned for information about another tour later in 2017 or in 2018!